Friday, July 3, 2009

Nina Flowers Exclusive


We're starting this issue off with a bang! If a feature on the incomparable Nina Flowers wasn't enough, here's the full interview with V-Rag. This is just the first of many exclusives you'll be able to read (and watch) on the V-Rag Blog.

NINA FLOWERS

Interview by John Britton
Photo by Norman Dillon

It’s only been three months since you rocked ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’ with
your unique persona and performance, and already you’ve travelled
extensively with your act. What has life been like for Nina since the
show wrapped?


Wow, very busy. I’ve been traveling every other week while still
fulfilling my performance and DJ gigs here locally. I’m also trying
to expand into other forms of entertainment, collaborating with a
couple of DJs (DJ Rhani and DJ William Umana) on coming up with some
new vocal mixes. Also, I’ve been focusing on a new show that I’m
producing, called “DRAMA DRAG” which takes place the last Friday of
every month at the hottest club in Denver, TRACKS - the same club
where I’m also a resident DJ (www.tracksdenver.com).


You are performing at Vancouver PRIDE’s biggest dance party, Rapture
Recovery. Will this be your first visit to Vancouver?


It’s my first visit to Vancouver and I look forward to seeing
your beautiful city and to perform in this great event. I’m very
excited to come to your city after all the great e-mails I’ve been
getting from all the fans I’m getting from that area. Unfortunately,
I won’t be able to stay too long because I’ll have to return to
Denver, but perhaps next time I’ll have an extended stay to see more
of your city.


As with the latest season of ‘American Idol’, it was quite a surprise
that the popular favourite didn’t take the title of ‘America’s Next
Drag Superstar’. However, NOT winning seems to be a better career
move for many reality TV stars. Would you agree that coming in as
first runner-up allows you more creative freedom than coming in first
place?


Yes, I believe there is probably more freedom. I’ve received
great exposure, and I’m working on my own and I don’t have the kind of
contracts that will limit me from expanding to new things.


Your online blog whilst on the show was incredibly frank and honest;
on the week that Jade was sent home, you questioned the ‘nature of the
show’ and ‘are they really looking for the best of the best?’ What
does being the ‘best of the best’ mean to you, both in terms of the
show and as an artist?


They picked a diverse group of girls with many different talents
and backgrounds, and the best of the best was as described by RuPaul
stated was having Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve and Talent. There were
girls that may have not brought that on when compared to Jade, so when
they voted her off I was surprised by the decision.


Your latest promo shots are reminiscent of another great performance
artist, Leigh Bowery. Was this your inspiration for the look? And
who would you list as your other key style influences?


Honestly, this is the first time I’ve heard of Leigh Bowery but
the inspiration for the photo shoot was a team work effort between my
fashion designer, Jessica Rowell and I. On my last photo shoot my
inspiration for this came from the movie, Party Monster. As far as
individuals, I get my inspiration from perfomers like Nina Hagen –
while she is not drag, I love her character and her drama when
performing. I also find inspiration from artists like Boy George, the
Annie Lennox, and Pete Burns. They inspired me and where entertainers
that added to my drag persona.


Your success has seen you working alongside some of North America’s
most renowned DJs. What has this experience been like, and who are
your most-admired DJs?


Wow!! I’m still looking to make more connections. It’s been
amazing and there’s are so many I admire... but my favorites are
Ralphi Rosario, and Abel (I love when these two bitches get together
and create Rosabel). I also love Manny Lehman, William Umana, and
some great Brazilian DJs like DJ Ranny, Altar, E-Thunder, Edson Pride,
DJ Lapetina, and many others.


One of the challenges on ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’ centered on a ‘Paris is
Burning’-inspired ball. You seemed like such a natural in this
challenge. Did the New York ball/vogue scene have any particular
relevance to or influence on your life?


That was during my early days growing up – it was a great
influence. It thought me much about my history and culture. I
started out as a club kid and let that time evolve me to what I am
today. My interpretation of the art of drag comes from that era.


Drag is an integral and universally recognized facet of gay culture,
yet you have been described as more of a ‘performance artist’ than a
‘drag queen’. How do you feel about the terms ‘drag’ and ‘performance
artist’, and do you see yourself as more of one than the other?


Personally, for me I use them interchangeably. It’s through the
art of drag that I perform – I don’t think I’m exclusive or solely
meant to be one or the other. My love is in the art of entertaining
and that’s what I believe the fans want from me.


How is your unique interpretation of drag received within the drag community?

According to my fan mail, I believe it’s been well received. I’m
honored to have inspired others in the art of drag and to think
outside of the box, and explore their own identities as they interpret
the art of drag.


You are a talented DJ, an incredible make-up artist, a performer, a
fashion designer… what is next for Nina Flowers?


Yes, thank you. I know that since the show, the main focus has
been my work as Nina Flowers. Though, there are so many things that I
want to do aside from my drag persona. At the moment, while still
performing as Nina Flowers, I’m dedicating time to music and becoming
a recognized DJ and musical producer. I’m now working with two
incredible DJs individually - DJ Williams Umana, and DJ Ranny. Before
the summer is out I’m hopeful that we’ll have a couple
tribal/progressive house mixes out, so stay tune. For now, there is
a lot of traveling for this year, and hopefully an appearance on the
next season of RuPaul’s Drag Race - We’ll see.


For more info on Nina, check out this month's issue of V-Rag or go to www.ninaflowers.com
Nina will be performing at Rapture Recovery at the Commodore Ballroom on Aug. 2. Visit www.tfdpresents.com for more information.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this article guys, I have read the entire article and I am feeling happy to read this. Great and awesome work.
    =============================================================
    Vancouver Flowers

    ReplyDelete