Sunday, November 15, 2009

Barbara Tucker Exclusive


Barbara Tucker is one of the leading voices in house music today—and a legendary diva—who continues to put out succulent sounds with her God-sent gift of a voice. She is at the forefront of dance music and provides her soulful vocals for some of the biggest dance tracks. Vancouver is blessed to have this amazing talent sing live for the very first time, thanks to the genius promoters that are LuVToucH. Barbara answers some of my questions, gives me insight about the current state of dance music, and tells me what she is up to.

BARBARA TUCKER: HOUSE DIVA

Interview by Michael Venus

What are you current projects?

Currently, I have my own record company, and I am in the process of releasing my new tune, “Feeling Like a Superstar”. I am also planning my annual party at the Winter Music Conference called “And Let the Singer Be Heard”, a platform that focuses on the artist.

You are adored by the gay community. Why do you think that is?

I really don’t know what attracts the gay community to various artists. I know that I am free, I love design and style, and I can be crazy on stage. I don’t look for a group; I just do what I do.

You are a superstar in Italy. Do Italians really do it better?

I don’t know what they do, but I know they love soulful sounds!

Europe has always embraced dance music. Why do you think North America doesn’t quite catch on?

North America follows the dollar. If you can sell them something—not necessarily great, but everyone is doing it—the masses follow the illusion. Money is behind the marketing of acts, but it’s not to say the lesser known are not hot. We just don’t have that kind of money, so we go where we are celebrated, and not just tolerated.

What is the “Underground Network”, and how did it come to be? Is there much going on with it today?

The “Underground Network” is a company that I started with partner, Don Welch, in 1992. We supported the dance scene and had over three hundred artists performing, supported by record labels and promoters. We were the avenue for soulful house music; everyone wanted to perform. Many celebrities passed through, from Janet Jackson to Queen Latifah, and so on. It was also a dancers’ hang out; real fierce dancers. For the holidays, we cooked for everyone; we were as family. My partner still does the “Underground Network”, but it’s more of an R&B scene now. When you don’t own a building, it can be pulled from you, and changes happen. But we do specialty parties every now and then.

What is the current climate for house music in New York City?

I think it’s always going to be there, but superstar DJs come to our town, change the sound, and the new generation follows that. But you can still find more than four house parties. In New York, there’s a party for every consciousness.

Who are your inspirations, and what are you currently listening to?

I love Ledisi; I love neo-soul, and gospel. I listen to music of inspiration, because that’s the most important thing to me. I will always love my Chaka Khan, and Jill Scott.

You are such a talented dancer as well. What is your background in dance? How was it dancing with Lady Kier and Deee-Lite?

When I was with Deee-Lite, I was not just a dancer, but a singer/dancer. Working with Bootsy Collins and the rest of the band was simply a fun experience. One of my favourite partners was Zhana Saunders, AKA Da Matrix. I did a lot of various dance classes, and was in a dance company called “Internal Combustions”, under the direction of the late Calvin Matthis.

What can we expect in the future?

You can expect other artists to come under my umbrella, more music, more conferences, and more inspiration. I’m also working on an online TV show, “Barbara Tucker: The Evolution of House”, on Axiom, so look out!

What is your favourite song to perform from your fabulous catalog?

My favourite song to perform would be “One”, and “Beautiful People”. “One” is a song I did with Peter Luts, and “Beautiful People” has so much meaning for the world. Ninety-nine percent of the songs that I write and sing have come from the heart, and they have an impact on my life based on what I see in the world, and what I want to give back: words of empowerment, lifting.

Any words of wisdom?

All our gifts and talents are given to us from on high. We are given these blessing to bless other, to lift them, inspire them, and bring them joy. When you give back in that way, you will always be blessed, so don't be selfish with your talent; share it, and make a difference in the world! Thank you for the love, and I anticipate coming to your town with a heart full of love!

Barbara will be performing live at LuVToucH (Ginger 62). Thursday, November 19.



No comments:

Post a Comment