Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Happy New Year! With Bif!


What better way to ring in the new year than with a chat with one of our favourite local celebrities, Bif Naked? V-Rag got to catch up with Bif to talk about spirituality, surviving cancer, marital bliss... oh and lots of bananas!

BIF NAKED: CANADA'S TREASURE
Interview by Michael Venus

You recently returned from a big international tour. What do you enjoy most and least about touring?

I'm happy to be home in Vancouver after our tour to support the release of this year's The Promise record. I love performing and it really is all I have ever done. Though I was still recovering from cancer treatments, and I toured against advice of some of my doctors, it was a very successful year. There isn’t anything I do not like about touring, except that I miss my 13 year old Maltese, Nicklas. He is too old to accompany me, and it would be too hard on him (having to poop at truck stops or outside venues late at night).

As a vegan, it must be tough for you as well on the road. What are your trade secrets to eating right while touring?


The choice to be vegan, and more accurately, "raw food vegan" is very personal. I have never toured with another vegan, so it's always up to me to find my own food... especially when the rest of my band mates have always eaten meat; they can eat anywhere. I basically try and hit grocery stores in every town and eat a lot of bananas. Haha!

Where is you fave spot to eat at here in Vancity? Abroad?

My favorite restaurant in Vancouver has always been The Naam. I always order the exact same thing so they don’t even have to ask me what I want (Naam Salad, no dressing) and eating abroad is tricky because I can't often find the time to get to some of the veggie restaurants in any given town due to press or sound check or travel times. Again, I eat a lot of bananas!


For those who those out there who for some reason didn't hear you got hitched, tell the fabulous V-Rag readers about your beautiful wedding and handsome husband.


My wedding was an absolute gong show because they were filming us the entire time. I had a dreamy wedding with a three-piece dress and long hot pink veil with my mother’s Indian jewelry. We got married at a United church because his parents are Ministers and my parents were missionaries...but at least the United Church of Canada has a healthy amount of gay and lesbian ministers. We were honouring our parents, basically. I had an Indian reception by renting out an entire Indian restaurant, and again, out of 150 guests, I was the only vegan. So the menu was a reflection of what my husband eats. Haha! Butter chicken, lamb curries, etc.

What else has been occupying your time? Do you have any hobbies?


I have always been a painter and cartoonist, with my dogs as my main subjects. Basically I’m a hack! Haha! But I love painting and my Biffy-stick-grrl cartoons have always been my theme in my hand-written liner notes in every CD. I am currently embarking on a book project, though it's unfolding as a "memoir" about my touring experiences over the last 20 years. Plus there is the whole titcancer thing. Haha!


You are a strong survivor of cancer, how did your spirituality and positive outlook help you through that time in your life?


My spirituality permeates every cell of my being. Each one of us is a walking, breathing, talking, thinking miracle. I am a science geek and I love biology and the way we are alive with nerves and vessels and cells and cognitive thoughts, etc. And again, with the positvity, it is just part of my nature. I get bummed, from time to time like anyone else... but it is only a few minutes before I talk myself out of it. I have been that way since I was a little kid. I will never change. I will never feel sorry for myself for any reason. Never have, never will. Yay!

What is your best advice for people to have a more positive outlook?

My best advice for anyone is to go be homeless for a week or to go hungry for a week or to go to the Third World and seriously experience what real problems are. It will, hopefully, enlighten their perspectives. I was raised to be grateful for every day and everything I have each day. I can never complain and even during the hardest part of chemo when I was verrrry sick and verrry bald, I felt grateful. I didn’t have an ostomy bag. I didn’t have a baby. I had access to medicine. I have a roof over my head. Know what I mean? So many people have nothing. Life is so hard, how can we be anything less than grateful?

You've certainly kept healthy and fit. How do you maintain such a sexy body?

You are too sweet! I have always been very active and enjoyed a healthy state of fitness. At one point, I became very underweight because my shows are so physical and we were touring so much I was simply wasting away. But now I find a good balance between weight training and yoga and eating more conscientiously. My weight is much healthier now. I have a lot more body fat and I like being more curvy than skinny.

Most recent tattoo?

I am actually in the process of completing a back tattoo, my first since cancer. It is of the Taj Mahal and I am hoping to have it completed by the end of the year. Steve Breadman at Sacred Heart (on 10th) is my guy. He is the greatest!

What are you currently listening to? Who are your inspirations?

I love music so much that it makes me grateful for my hearing everyday! There is not one kind of music I don’t like. Currently I am crazy for the latest Mariah Carey record! Haha!

Who are your favorite Canadian artists out there?


I love everybody! I am pals with Jann Arden and I have deep admiration for her, as a songwriter and as a performer. She is a big mentor. Also, my pal, Gail Greenwood, who was in the US band, Belly (and later, L7) is one of my biggest influences and I wish I could be half as cool as her every day of my life. She is my guru!

What can we expect in the future from Bif Naked?


Well... I can't know for sure as even I am constantly surprised at what opportunities present themselves... but I have been working on a couple side projects and I am hoping to complete them. One is my Joyful Disco project, love recording that one! I’ve never had so much fun in the studio and the lyrics are absolutely filthy!!! I am finally old enough to write dirty lyrics! And of course my forthcoming book.

No comments:

Post a Comment