Monday, May 3, 2010

Joey Arias Exclusive


Joey Arias is a New York-based drag icon who came out of the pivotal eighties performance art scene. Gender bending and hanging out with Andy Warhol while performing alongside Klaus Nomi and David Bowie, he later re-invented himself into a Fantastical Fetish Diva who shocked audiences with his ability to “channel” Billie Holiday. Joey has dazzled the globe ever since and continues to perform and inspire. He is an accomplished and infamous living legend.

JOEY ARIAS: DRAG QUEEN SINGS THE BLUES
Interview by Michael Venus

Tell us about working with Klaus Nomi and David Bowie.

Klaus was my best friend and we did everything together. When Bowie invited Klaus to work with him, Bowie asked if I could join them. That was a dream come true. I've always loved David. He was the funniest person I ever met. Just vibrating with excitement!

Highlights while working on Zumanity?

Working with Cirque du Soliel was just an amazing experience, especially with Manfred Thierry Mugler as Artistic Director of the personas to be presented. There are so many stories that I could write a book. For instance in the orgy scene, a 90-year-old woman took her tits out and started sucking them and wanted to suck cock on stage... She was a horny fuck, thank god. Sex is Beautiful.

What are some of your career highlights?

I think a NYC highlight was to perform at Carnegie Hall channeling Billie Holiday. That blew me away.

Who are you current inspirations?

My inspirations are anyone who has an open mind and wants to create... Like Basil Twist. He's a child and lover of dreams and magic. Working with Sherry Vine and her aspirations of searching for the ultimate show. And the of course Mr. Thierry Mugler who directs me and watches that I don't do anything stupid. And my future husband.

What are you fave things about Vancouver?

I love Vancouver and it’s really been so good to me... I've met so many wonderful people... Love the landscape from the bedroom window. Vancouver is so open-mined from the times I've been there, and the boys were lined up around the toilet waiting for a good conversation... And I saw some big conversations there.

Upcoming projects?

Upcoming, I'm working with Miss Vine in our new show... The film Arias With A Twist, the docu-fantasy that's opening many film festivals... and my new solo show presented by Earl Dax and directed by Manfred Thierry Mugler. It’s gonna be something very musical.

Any words of wisdom?

Words of wisdom... Let inspiration guide you and don’t be afraid of the dark... The only monster is you. Chase your nightmare because it will pay off!

No comments:

Post a Comment